Educational Support Services (ESS)
The City Academy Educational Support Services (ESS) Department encompasses a variety of special support services at City Academy. ESS provides the following:
- Diagnostic screening assessments in reading and math for all students in grades 7, 8, & 9.
- Diagnostic assessments for students who are speakers of other languages.
- Identification of and placement for students needing Coordinated Early Intervening Services (CEIS) or Extended Year Services (EYS).
- Monitoring of students who have been identified as at-risk.
- Academic assessment and diagnostic testing to identify needs of students who demonstrate significant difficulty in class after implementing interventions.
- Services for students with disabilities who require Individual Educational Plans (IEP) under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Services for students with disabilities who require Section 504 plans under the Americans for Disabilities Act (ADA)
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Services for students who qualify.
- Functional Behavioral Analysis and Behavioral Intervention Plan development and implementation for students with behavioral issues.
- Support for teachers in implementing accommodations for students on IEP, 504, and ESL plans, including in-services and trainings, class observations by ESS personnel, and in-class support by co-teachers for IEP students.
Carson Smith Special Needs Scholarship
School districts and charter schools are required by Utah law, 53A1a-704(10), to inform parents of students with IEPs enrolled in public schools, of the availability of a scholarship to attend a private school through the Carson Smith Scholarship Program. The Carson Smith Special Needs Scholarship provides tuition assistance for eligible special needs students enrolled in eligible private schools.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the student must meet a set of requirements including that the student was enrolled in a Utah public school in the current school year, has a current IEP during the school year, and has been admitted to an eligible private school. Prospective applicants may view detailed program information at the following website: www.schools.utah.gov/sars/Scholarships.aspx