Academic Learning Support and Enrichment
At City Academy we understand that some students need additional academic support and learning opportunities. City Academy’s Learning Extension offers several academic enhancement opportunities to benefit student learning.
- Literacy Instruction – Middle school students receive Intensive Content Area Literacy (iCAL) instruction to build their English language arts skills. This instruction is provided by expert literacy teachers from the University of Utah College of Education.
- Math Lab – Math help and Math learning development. City Academy teachers and additional tutors are available to work with students needing help with their math class work. Students are also able to enroll in a personalized adaptive software program, ALEKS, to further develop their math understandings with the support of teachers and tutors.
- Study Room – Open each day 7:15-8:00 a.m., 3:15-5:30 p.m. Mon, Tues, Wed, and Fri., and 1:45-5:30 p.m. on Thursdays. Students have access to a quiet study space, adult support, chrome books, computers, and a printer.
City Academy Learning Extension offers learning enrichment classes and programs for students who want to extend their regular classroom learning.
- Advanced-level History – Students taking Cambridge International Examinations courses in US and European History take an additional seminar during extended learning hours.
- Math Honors Classes – Opportunities for students from Math 7 through Secondary Math 3. Students learn about mathematics beyond the regular classroom level. We cover topics such as matrices, vectors, number theory, topology, and more. Honors math helps prepare students to take college level mathematics while still in high school.
- Physics with Mechanics – Also known as Newtonian mechanics dealing with the study of motion. In Physics with Mechanics we investigate the way the physical world works and express our findings through math and formulas. We use these findings to better understand the world we live in and to prepare ourselves for the Cambridge International Examinations mechanics test.