Theatre, Music, Art & Design
City Academy offers a strong Fine Arts department where learning continues as a part of our extended day programs.
In our theatre department, we have a production as well as an incredible technical stage craft department. Our Music Department offers many options for those students interested in music such as an Honors Choir, One Voice Choir, Open Piano Lab, Guitar lessons, and an amazing Bell choir. Visual Arts offers an advanced graphic design class, as well as multiple classes covering oils, charcoal, and abstract art.
City Academy celebrates our amazing Arts offerings twice a year in our Fall and Spring Art Share for our whole community.
- Productions: City Academy Community High School Theatre is proud to offer three shows per school year as our theatrical season. Traditionally, we offer one play, one musical, and one Shakespeare project. In 2017 we are so pleased to offer the World Premier of the Theatrical Staging of the musical Hoodwinked. We work with community partners to create the most professional student productions in the Salt Lake Valley.
- Technical/Stage Craft: All of our productions are designed, built, and technically run by City Academy Learning Extension students. Students get hands-on, practical application of building, painting, running sound and lights, creating props, costuming, promotion, and run crew for all of our theatrical productions.
- Graphic Design: As a component of our extended day STEAM programs students receive exploration of Design Principles in hand-made projects, while also receiving training in Adobe Creative Cloud programs such as Photoshop, Premier, and Illustrator. Students visit sites to experience careers in graphic design, have visiting artists and guest lecturers, as well as learn to discuss the design process critically.
A few examples of our awesome art projects include: Logo Design, Digital Painting, Creating a GIF, Event Poster, and Literature Illustration. Graphic Design is a great place for all types of artists who are seeking more experience with computers as well as painting and drawing.
- Open Piano Lab: Students and faculty have the opportunity to come in and practice the piano on the keyboards and use the computers with music writing software.
- One Voice: Come sing in the mornings, fun music. We work on a wide range of music from “Nightmare Before Christmas” to Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence.”
Bell Choir: Come play bells with us. You don’t have to come every week. We are working on the “Theme from Jurassic Park.”